Coffee and Cocoa Rubbed Pork Hash with Chocolate Chipotle Drizzle, Fried Egg, and Orange Zest Garnish
For the chocolate sauce:
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ¼ tsp minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ¾ tsp adobo sauce
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons condensed milk
- Arrowroot slurry to thicken as desired. Start with ¾ tsp
Method: In a sauce pot, turn heat to medium high and melt butter. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add chocolate chips and whisk together until melted and fully combined. Add the remaining ingredients whisking to combine, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until desired thickness.
For the rub:
- 1 tablespoon coffee
- 2 ¼ tsp brown sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¾ tsp minced fresh garlic
Method: Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
For the hash:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lbs of pork loin (remove fat and silver skin) and chopped into ½ in. pieces
- 4 medium size Yukon gold potatoes chopped into ½ in. pieces
- ¼ Spanish onion chopped into ½ in. pieces
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 ½ tsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method: Rub the pork with the coffee and cocoa rub and set aside. In a medium size sauté pan on medium heat, melt the butter and add potatoes, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until potatoes and onions are caramelized and tender. (About 15 min.) Add dijon mustard after cooked and stir to combine. In a separate medium size sauté pan, place on high heat and add oil. Add pork and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Once cooked, add the pork to the potato and onion.
Plate the hash and drizzle as much chocolate sauce as desired. Top the hash with a fried egg cooked to your preference (the runnier the better!) and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and orange zest.
The original story can be found here at WXYZ Channel 7.