By TALITHA JOHNSON, Account Assistant, Marx Layne
This day serves as a remembrance that perseverance still prevails. As I reflect about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, each year I learn a new lesson from his struggle. This year, that lesson is to never give up; under no circumstance (seen or unforeseen) should you give up on yourself or mankind.
I could only imagine how difficult it must have been fighting to eradicate racism while practicing and teaching the message of peace. Through the ridicule, hatred and injustice, he refused to allow his present circumstances to cause him to respond immorally. Instead, he took the high road by sharing with us the best version of himself as often as possible.
He had a dream and wouldn’t allow anyone or anything to stop him from shaping it into reality. I admire his refusal to settle for less, and his determination to be the change that he so passionately dreamed of.
I am appreciate of his efforts and all of those whom fought with him. But, I am equally excited to be a part of his dream through which I now live in a global society immersed with diverse cultures, faiths and ethnicities. Together, we have come so far, with so much further still ahead. I am inspired to carry the dream forward in an effort to continuously create a better world for the forthcoming generations. Like, Dr. King I cannot work alone, won’t you join me?
I share with you a few of my fave quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.:
- Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
- I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.