A 13-year-old Southfield boy with a life-threatening renal disease is going to Spain next week, a trip granted by Make-A-Wish Michigan.
Terrien will visit several points of interest in the Barcelona area. As a courtesy, Make-A-Wish does not reveal the last names of the children who are are assisted by the organization.
BNP Media of Troy recently held a going-away party for Terrien and his family at the Somerset Inn in Troy. The company is a regular contributor to the charity.
Here are some facts about Make-A-Wish Michigan:
• Since 1984, Make-A-Wish Michigan has granted more than 9,000 wishes to children.
• The organization’s goal for fiscal year 2017 is to grant more than 450 wishes.
• There are more than 550 medically-eligible children planning and anticipating their wishes.
• A recent Make-A-Wish America survey found that 96 percent of parents said the wish experience strengthened their families.
• While each wish is unique, the majority of wishes fall into one of four categories: I wish to go, I wish to meet, I wish to have and I wish
• The average value of a Michigan wish is $10,000.
• Nearly 75 percent of Michigan wishes require air travel, making it a critical – and costly – resource. The organization anticipates more than 350 wishes will involve travel this year alone.
• Anyone who wants to donate online may go to michigan.wish.org.